‘Whatever the mind can conceive and believe, it can achieve’, Napoleon Hill once said. It is believed that we only use 10% of our brain’s potential during the course of our lives (many though, would dispute this). So what about the remaining 90%? Why don’t we use it? What stops us from using it? The simple answer is: us.
When we are born and in our early years, we have no inhibitions; we do things without fear of reprisal. Upon birth, we enter a new phase of life. Our first existence was with our Creator, in another dimension unknown to us. We then descend into our mother’s womb and descend again, upon birth, into the world. When we are born, we are pure, innocent, but we soon forget our purpose. Every baby is born with innate knowledge, but it escapes us so that we can start our journey. Our purpose is to rediscover it. Interestingly, the Arabic word for ‘human’ comes from the root word ‘to forget’.
We soon become engrossed in our worldly affairs, in things, which frankly, have no real importance. We are never really given the opportunity to use our mind. But it is because we are trained, indoctrinated if you like, to busy ourselves with trivial matters.
No one really knows how powerful the mind is. What we do know is that our mind is capable of curing the body from ‘incurable’ illnesses and creating, inventing and designing things that change the world. Look up people like Chao Lu who memorised 67,890 digits of Pi without error, Kim Peek (pictured left) who knew every zipcode in America and could read two pages of a book at once (0ne with each eye) in 8 seconds with 98% accuracy and Ramon Campayo, who can memorise 17 numbers in half a second. True, these are all to do with the memory, but it shows some of the things we are capable of.
If we knew how powerful we actually are, the world would be a totally different place. Tyrants can only oppress their people if they keep the majority uneducated, poor and in conflict with one another. These three things keep people in a state of heedlessness and more concerned about survival rather than using our mind to challenge the status quo.
In developed countries where we live under ‘democracy’ we are constantly kept entertained with food, music, TV, films, billboards etc and we therefore become trained to use our mind merely for the pursuit of hedonistic pleasure. If one doesn’t believe in God or an afterlife, then sure, there is nothing wrong with the pursuit of hedonistic pleasure. But again, this is the trap we fall for. The secular society of today diverts us from realising our real purpose.
So how do we start using our minds for its intended purpose. Well, fundamentally, everything that exists is comprised of energy. We too are made up of energy. If we can use our mind to channel this energy in a positive way, positive things are bound to happen. Why? Because positive energy attracts positive energy. And this is why it is important to discard negative thoughts and replace them with positive ones.
But then again, this could all be a load of nonsense. There’s only the here and now. There’s no God, it’s just a big fairy tale. There’s no afterlife, it’s just something to appease our fear of death. Let’s all just carry on as we are…
Follow me on Twitter: omar_shahid